Household Toxins

February 17, 2019 at 12:42 am

Grapes and Raisins
The consumption of grapes and raisins can potentially lead to renal (kidney) failure in dogs. Veterinarians have not been able to determine exactly what it is about the grape that causes dogs to go into kidney failure. If your dog ingests grapes, you should contact your veterinarian immediately.

There is a chemical in chocolate called theobromine which is highly toxic to dogs. Ingesting chocolate can be potentially fatal to dogs. It greatly depends on the amount of chocolate ingested and the size of the dog. It is best to keep all chocolate out of your dog’s reach.

Pennies contain zinc which can cause kidney failure and damage red blood cells. Ingesting just one penny can cause zinc toxicity and potentially lead to death. Keep all change out of reach of your pet.

Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol which is highly toxic to animals if ingested. Antifreeze has a sweet taste which attracts pets to lick it up if it is spilled onto the ground. According to Pet MD, only three ounces of antifreeze can cause kidney failure in a medium sized dog. Keep all antifreeze out of reach of pets. Ensure that you clean it up thoroughly if it is spilled on to the ground.

Cocoa Mulch
As with chocolate, cocoa mulch contains theobromine which is toxic to dogs if ingested. Some manufacturers now claim that their cocoa mulch is free of theobromine. Pet owners should take care when selecting mulch for their yards.

Chewing Gum
Chewing gum contains xylitol which is a sugar substitute. It is safe for humans, but if ingested by a dog xylitol can cause hypoglycemia. This can potentially lead to seizures and liver failure.

Rat and mouse poisons contain a highly toxic substance called warfarin. Warfarin is an anticoagulant that prevents blood from clotting. Dogs that have ingested rodenticides will often have nose bleeds as they are unable to clot their blood. If left untreated, dogs can potentially die from warfarin toxicosis.

Human Medications/Supplements
It is important for pet owners to remember that just because something is good for you, does not mean it is good for your pets. Many human medications and supplements are toxic to dogs. Ingestion of Tylenol can lead to liver failure and red blood cell damage. Non-steroidal anti- inflammatories such as Motrin, Aleve, and Advil can cause intestinal ulcers and kidney failure. You should never administer any of your medications and supplements to your dog without first consulting your veterinarian.

If you believe your pet has ingested any of these toxins, contact your veterinarian immediately.